A minor variance is relief from the terms of the zoning by-law. A minor variance may be needed when a proposed use or structure do not conform exactly to the zoning by-law. Please contact the Building Department to check if your project may need a minor variance. The Committee of Adjustment is the approval authority for minor variances.

Apply for a Minor Variance

Applications for minor variance are coordinated through the Bruce County Planning Department.

When a Minor Variance is Required

Example of when a minor variance is required include:

  • New construction cannot meet the zoning by-law
  • Zoning by-law minimums cannot be met such as lot frontage, lot area, or setbacks
  • An addition is proposed for a legal non-complying building

Active Minor Variance Files

Visit the Bruce County Planning website for active planning files.

The Committee of Adjustment must consider four tests before approving a minor variance:

  • Is the application minor?
  • Is the application desirable for the appropriate development of the lands in question?
  • Does the application conform to the general intent of the Zoning By-law?
  • Does the application conform to the general intent of the Official Plan?