Skip to main content Skip to footer

Building Permits

We're pleased to offer residents, builders, and the business community an online system that allows you to apply for and track your permit applications.

With Cloudpermit, you can start an application, finish it later, receive e-mail updates on the status of your permit - you can even request building inspections!

If you've never used or are having any troubles with Cloudpermit, our guide is a great resource or please contact us for assistance by e-mail or at 519-396-3468 ext. 2. Cloudpermit also has an excellent online portal for support.

Before you begin construction...

Please, before you begin anything, check below to see if you require a building permit or contact us by e-mail or at 519-396-3468 ext. 2. 

Once you've got your permit, don't forget to check back to see what inspections may be required.

Building permits

Building permits are required for the construction, addition, renovation, and demolition of any building or structure as described in the Ontario Building Code Act.

If you're looking for an electrical permit, please contact the Electrical Safety Authority (ESA).

When applying for a building permit, there are some things you'll need or may have to consider:

Once a complete application with all requirements is received by our staff, they follow the Ontario Building Code Act timelines for reviewing and communicating with the applicant:

  • 10 business days for residential application
  • 15 business days for a small commercial application
  • 30 business days for a large commercial application 

Once the application has been reviewed and is ready to be issued, applicants are notified of fees owing by Cloudpermit.

Cheques, cash, or debit cards can be processed at the Municipal Administration Centre at 1475 Concession 5, Kincardine. 

Once the payment is received, the permit is issued on Cloudpermit.

Before you start construction of any time, contact us by e-mail or phone at 519-396-3468 ext. 2 so that we can help you understand if you need a building permit.

Some projects that require a permit (but not limited to) are:

  • Building a new building or structure greater than 108 ft2. Our accessory building guide is a great resource!
  • Building any addition or making structural changes. Learn more about adding a second unit to your home.
  • Renovations or repairs to existing buildings
  • Building a deck. Use our deck guide to help make your plans.
  • Finishing an unfinished basement
  • Adding or changing the size of doors or windows
  • Creating a new entrance
  • Installing a wood burning stove or fireplace
  • Plumbing including adding a washroom or altering existing plumbing
  • Septic systems
  • New insulation
  • Connection to municipal water
  • Change the use of a building
  • Installing a swimming pool. Use our pool guide to help you learn more.
  • Demolish a house or building greater than 108 ft2. Don't forget that BEFORE you demolish anything it's your responsibility to contact the water department and your hydro provider (HydroOne or Westario). Following a demolition, make sure you also submit Form 357 to our treasury department.

There are some projects that don't require a permit like:

  • Replacing existing doors and windows that are the same size.
  • Installing siding on small residential buildings
  • Building a roofless deck that has an area of less than 108 ft2 and the maximum height off the ground is under 2 ft (0.61 m).
  • An accessory building that is less than 108 ft 2 (like a garden shed.) It must be in a side or rear yard with a minimum setback of 1 m from property lines.
  • Re-shingle roof
  • Drywall or plaster
  • Painting or decorating
  • Installing kitchen or bathroom cupboards
  • Installing a fence on your own property - but please call us at 519-396-3468 ext. 2 if you're on a corner lot, first!

The role of the Building Department is to review, issue, and inspect building permits. We ensure that structures are safe, accessible, and comply with the Ontario Building Code.

Through the Code, we ensure that the minimum standard of health, life, and fire safety are maintained. We also confirm that projects comply with minimum setbacks and permitted uses of our Zoning By-law.

Sign permits

A sign permit is required for signs in the municipality as per our sign by-law.

Contact us by e-mail or call 519-396-3468 ext. for a sign permit application and more details.

Tent permits

Having an outdoor gathering and planning on putting up a tent for a bit of shelter? You may need a permit.

Check out our tent permit requirements.

A building permit is required for tents or groups of tents that are:

  • greater than 646 ft(60 m2).
  • Assembled less than 9'-10” (3 m) from other buildings or structure (another tent).
  • Tents greater than 2421 ft2 (225 m2) also require engineered drawings and a Commitment for General Review signed and submitted with the permit application.

Temporary/Mobile (Demountable) Stage permits

If you're planning on having some entertainment performed from a portable stage at your next event, a permit may be required for both the demountable stage and/or a demountable support structure.

Learn more in our Building Bulletin about stages.

Building Reports

The building department always has a lot going on - especially when the weather is nicer and construction is underway. Check out some of our statistics to get an idea of what's underway in the Municipality of Kincardine.

Sign up to our Newsletter

Stay up to date on the city's activities, events, programs and operations by subscribing to our eNewsletters.

This website uses cookies to enhance usability and provide you with a more personal experience. By using this website, you agree to our use of cookies as explained in our Privacy Policy.