Skip to main content Skip to footer

Pets and Animals

Pets are a part of many people's families and our agricultural community cares for livestock every day.

We provide a variety of animal related services in the Municipality of Kincardine such as dog licensing, livestock claims, and more.


If a dog is part of your family and you live in the Municipality of Kincardine, you're required to have them licensed. Licensing is renewed annually and full details are part of our Dog Control By-Law as amended.

With the licensing comes a tag which must be worn on the dogs collar at all times. A dog tag is the best form of ID for your pup as it's a quick a easy way to return a lost dog. If your dog is picked up without a tag or valid license you may be subject to additional fees.

Register your dog

Register your dog online and you'll receive your permanent dog tag in the mail. You can also visit the Municipal Administration Centre to register and pick-up a tag. One tag is issued to each dog for its lifetime.

If you no longer have a dog within the Municipality of Kincardine, please fill out our dog tag cancellation request form.

Dog Fees

New Dog Licence $20.50

To be renewed between January 1st and March 1st annually.

Additional Dog Licences $28.00

For each additional dog. To be renewed between January 1st and March 1st annually.

Late Fee for Annual Licence $30.75

When paid after March 1st annual renewal deadline.

Late fee for Annual Licence - Additional Dogs $42.00

When paid after March 1st annual renewal deadline.

Replacement dog tag $10.00

For lost tags or transferring to new dog

Other Animal Services

For animals that have been lost or found, please contact By-law Services at 226-910-1322.

By-law responds to reports of dogs running at large. Please don't let your dog roam free unless you head to Kin-Dog Park. 

When a By-law Officer attends and captures a dog running at large, the dog is taken to the pound and the owner could be subject to many fines:

  1. Permitting Dog to Run at Large: $105
  2. Failing to Licence: $105
  3. Failing to attach tag: $105
  4. Boarding Fees at Vet: Vet Fees
  5. Dog Reclaim Fee: $124.00
  6. Lost dog tag: $10.00

A kennel licence is required for more than 3 dogs. If you are interested in getting a kennel license please contact us by e-mail or at 519-396-3468 before building any type of kennel structure as there are certain zoning requirements and standards in place.

Fees for Breeding Kennels

  • Per calendar year paid before March 1st: $148.75
  • Per calendar year paid after March 1st: $223.00

The Municipality of Kincardine By-Law Enforcement does not have an animal control specialist to handle wildlife, including injured or deceased animals, on private property.

If you’re having issues on private property with wildlife, you can contact pest or wildlife control companies to have it removed at your own expense. Ontario Wildlife Rescue is an excellent resource, and if you need contact information for a local contractor, e-mail us or call 519-396-3468 and we assist you in connecting with a local trapper.

For a sick animal (distemper/rabies) that is on municipal property and is considered an immediate danger to the public, please call By-Law services at 226-910-1322 or 9-1-1.

If you think an animal has rabies, please visit the Ministry of Natural Resources website or call their rabies hotline at 1-888-574-6656.

You can report a dead animal on a municipal road or property by making a service request.

The Ontario Wildlife Damage Compensation Program provides financial assistance to farmers whose livestock, poultry and honey bees have been damaged by wildlife. 

Our Livestock Valuator will come to your property to assess the damage and then file a report with the Ontario Ministry of Agriculture, Food, and Rural Affairs (OMAFRA.) The program follows the following guidelines.


A Livestock Valuator will complete an investigation within 3 days.  Within 10 business days after notification we will submit the application to OMAFRA.

Appealing the decision

If you do not agree with the results of the application, you may appeal the decision.

Livestock and poultry

Notify us within 48 hours if you find your livestock injured or killed. Find out if you're eligible for financial assistance.

Beehive, bee colony, beehive-related equipment

If eligible species of wildlife (bear, deer, raccoon or skunk) damage your beehive or related equipment, you must notify an OMAFRA Apiary/Bee Inspector within 48 hours of finding the damage. Payments to beekeepers will come directly from OMAFRA.

Claim tips

  • Do not move the livestock before an investigation takes place.
  • Take 3 to 6 pictures of the injured or killed livestock.
  • Include pictures of the site to show the location of the incident, which will help the livestock valuer with their assessment in case weather is a factor.

Sign up to our Newsletter

Stay up to date on the city's activities, events, programs and operations by subscribing to our eNewsletters.

This website uses cookies to enhance usability and provide you with a more personal experience. By using this website, you agree to our use of cookies as explained in our Privacy Policy.