Skip to main content Skip to footer

Zoning and Severances


Our Zoning By-law* is a legal document that regulates the use of land within the municipality. The by-law regulates, among other things:

  • What each parcel of land can be used for (permitted uses);
  • Where and what types of buildings or structures may be located on the land; and
  • Lot sizes, parking lots, building heights and setbacks.

Bill 23 has created new opportunities for additional residential units which are not yet reflected in the zoning by-law. Find out more in this Explanatory Note to Bill 23 – Accessory Residential Units. Please contact the Building Department at 519-396-3468 for permitting requirements to create an Accessory Residential Unit or Secondary Suite.


General information is also available on our Building and Renovating webpage.

*This By-Law is not a live document and may not contain all recently updated changes and amendments – please consult the Development Services Department regarding any updates and zoning inquiries.

The zoning by-law classifies properties into several categories such as but not limited to:

  • Residential
  • Commercial
  • Industrial
  • Agricultural
  • Environmentally Protected

Each zone has specific provisions regarding the use of land is that zone. Such as but not limited to:

  • Permitted uses
  • Location of buildings on property
  • Set backs, frontage, maximum lot coverage, maximum height etc.
  • Parking requirements
  • Driveway requirements

If you would like to use or develop your property in a way that is not a permitted use as per the Zoning By-law a zoning amendment may be required. Please contact the building department to check if your proposal requires a zoning change before applying. Municipal Council is the approval authority for zoning by-law amendments.

Apply for a Zoning Amendment

Applications for zoning by-law amendments are coordinated through the Bruce County Planning department.

Active Zoning Amendment Files

Visit the Bruce County Planning website for active planning files.


Consent or Severance

Consent or severances are planning processes regarding the division of land. There are several types of consent applications. The most common include:

  • Lot creation (severance)
  • Lot addition
  • Easement (right-of-way)

If you would like to develop property that involves lot creation (severance), lot addition, or easement please contact the Building Department to set up a consultation with the County Planner. The County of Bruce is the approval authority for consent applications.

Apply for a Consent

Consent applications are coordinated through the Bruce County Planning department.

Active Consent Amendment Files

Visit the Bruce County Planning website for active consent files.


Sign up to our Newsletter

Stay up to date on the city's activities, events, programs and operations by subscribing to our eNewsletters.

This website uses cookies to enhance usability and provide you with a more personal experience. By using this website, you agree to our use of cookies as explained in our Privacy Policy.