Municipal responsibility

The Sewer department is responsible for collection and treatment of sewage in serviced areas on municipal property.

Public Works are responsible for the collection and management of rain water on municipal roadways and allowances.

Homeowner responsibility

Sewer pipes on private property are the responsibility of the property owner.

 Optional Service Line Warranty Program

Did you know?

As a homeowner you are responsible for the water and sewer service lines that run from outside your home to the public main. When your service line breaks, leaks or clogs, the repair could cost thousands of dollars - hard on a budget! Many homeowner policies do not cover these repair costs. Please check with your insurance provider.

The Municipality of Kincardine, in conjunction with Service Line Warranties of Canada, offers an optional Service Line Warranty program to homeowners. The Municipality wishes to make residents aware of the availability of this product since water and sewer line repairs can be very expensive. SLWC is associated with the Association of Municipalities of Ontario as a preferred vendor and has partnered with over 65 leading cities and municipalities in Canada to provide repair service plans that offer peace of mind and convenience. SLWC has provided over $6M in coverage since they first launched in 2014.

Participation is optional and voluntary for homeowners and not a Municipal program. SLWC is a partner and solely responsible for the administration and service of the warranty programs. A homeowner, who chooses to enrol in this program, should do so with the understanding that the Municipality in no way warrants or is liable for the work or performance of SLWC. 


To sign up or get more details about the program please contact Service Line Warranties of Canada directly: 

Toll-free phone: 1-866-922-9004


Frequently Asked Questions

Is the SLWC program legitimate?

  • Yes - it's been vetted by the Local Authority Services through the Association of Municipalities of Ontario to be identified as a preferred vendor. SLWC is an accredited Better Business Bureau organization that has maintained an A+ rating

Does the Municipality administer this program?

  • No, the Municipality does not administer this program.

Why is the Municipality using this program?

  • The Municipality has partnered with SLWC to provide an optional warranty coverage to homeowners for their water services and sanitary laterals and to:
    • Educate residential property owners about their responsibilities for the maintenance, repair and replacement of water and sewer service lines (portion from their homes to the property line);
    • Make available to residents optional affordable protection unexpected costs of repairing or replacing non-functioning water and services lines, as well as, broken interior plumbing and drainage systems; and
    • Protect the environment with timely repairs to reduce water loss and minimize wastewater pollution.

Am I already covered with my insurance provider?

  • Many homeowners are not - check with your current provider to confirm coverage and compare rates.

Why did the Municipality give out my mailing address? How did SLWC get my mailing address?

  • SLWC works with Data Axel to gather mailing information from several publicly available sources including real estate listings, phone white pages, etc.; the Municipality did not provide your details to SLWC. 

Can I be removed from the mailing list?

Why did we use an American company?

  • While SLW is headquartered in the US, they do have a Canadian Head Office in Toronto. SLWC also works with local contractors when completing repairs.

I am not on Municipal water or sewer, why did I receive this notification?

  • One reason is that the Municipality only provides local postal codes to SLWC. The other reason is that SLWC also has coverage for internal plumbing and for any piping in your yard between your house and the well/cistern or septic tank.

Please help keep catchbasins clear of debris. Do not place leaves or grass clipping on the roadway.

General Information

 Rates and Fees
 See our Rates and Fees
 Utility Billing
 See our Utility Billing Info
 See our Digging and Locates Page
 Sewer Backups
 If you have a sewer issue, please call the sewer department at 519-396-4660. We will check to make sure the sewers under the road are clear of a blockage. If street sewers are clear, please call a plumber to check the pipes inside your home.
 Avoid a sewer backup - don't flush these things down the toilet
  • Put grease in a jar and place in garbage
  • Scrape all food scraps into garbage
  • Use hair and lint traps
  • Put diapers and wipes in garbage
  • Put dental floss in garbage
  • Put condoms in garbage
  • Put pads and tampons in garbage
  • Take paints and varnishes to hazardous waste disposal
  • Take leftover pills to drug store

Sewer FAQ's

What can I flush down the toilet?

Only pee, poop and toilet paper can go in the toilet.

Flushing items such as baby wipes, menstrual products, rags, and disposable face masks can clog our pumps and have to be manually removed. Please place these items in the trash for the landfill.

Can I pour grease down the drain?

No. Grease should be placed in a jar or sealed container and put into the garbage.

How do I drain my pool?

See our sewer use bylaw

How do I hook up to municipal sewer?

Please call the building department at 519-396-3468 ext 2.

I smell sewer gas what do I do?

Pour water down floor drains and sinks. If smell does not stop call a plumber.

Where can I put waste from my recreational vehicle (RV)?

The Municipality does not take waste from RV's. Please call a camp ground for disposal.

I have a sewer complaint who should I contact?

Please contact the sewer department at or call 519-396-4660.

Sewer Bypasses and Overflows

A bypass occurs at the treatment works when the wastewater is not able to go through one or more of the treatment processes before it is discharged. An example of this would be when there is a power outage, and the UV disinfection system is not able to run.

An overflow is similar to a bypass in that the wastewater is not fully treated but it typically occurs in the wastewater collection system when the flows exceed the capacity of the pumping station. An overflow typically occurs when the system is overwhelmed by stormwater inflow due to heavy precipitation as some areas have residential footing drains and/or sump pumps connected into the wastewater collection system instead of the stormwater system. An overflow is intended to prevent infrastructure damage and basement flooding.

The table below outlines the bypass and overflow events for the current calendar year. ​

(An additional table of the previous years events to be added starting in 2022.)

 Bypass and Overflow Report 2021

Type of EventDateDuration (Minutes)Estimated Volume (m3)Reason LocationSystem
 Overflow/Spill  February 23, 2021  60  <1  Air relief in forcemain broke  Kincardine Ave and Park St  Kincardine Wastewater
 Bypass  March 10, 2021  4  7.2 Attempting to stop flow for maintenance   167 Manhood Johnston Effluent  Kincardine Wastewater
 Overflow/Spill  March 14, 2021  120  1  Sewer Backup  Manholes at 200 Harbour St  Kincardine Wastewater
 Bypass  May 3, 2021  245  376  Power Failure  167 Mahood Johnston Effluent Station  Kincardine Wastewater
 Bypass  June 18, 2021  420  466  Power Failure  167 Mahood Johnston Effluent Station  Kincardine Wastewater
 Bypass  September 7, 2021  105  274  Power Failure  167 Mahood Johnston Effluent Station  Kincardine Wastewater
 Overflow/Spill  September 9, 2021  unknown  unknown  Heavy Precipitation / Chamber Plugged  520 Bruce Ave Lagoons  Kincardine Wastewater
 Overflow  March 26, 2021  500  58.75  Heavy Precipitation  Maple Street SPS  Bruce Energy Centre Wastewater
 Overflow / Forcemain Leak  April 21, 2021  170  <0.5  Leak due to broken pipe  Lake Street forcemain air relief  Bruce Energy Centre Wastewater

Bypass December 11, 2021 390 1263 Power Failure 169 Mahood Johnston Effluent Station Kincardine Wastewater

Sewer use by-law

Sewer Use By-law

Sewer annual reports

Kincardine Sewer Annual Report 2020

Kincardine Sewer Annual Report 2019

Kincardine Sewer Annual Report 2018

Kincardine Sewer Annual Report 2017

Tiverton, Inverhuron and Bruce Energy Center Sewer Annual Report 2020

Tiverton, Inverhuron and Bruce Energy Center Sewer Annual Report 2019

Tiverton, Inverhuron and Bruce Energy Center Sewer Annual Report 2018

Tiverton, Inverhuron and Bruce Energy Center Sewer Annual Report 2017

Storm Sewer FAQ's

The catchbasin in front of my property is plugged. Who do I call?

Please call the Public Works Office 519-396-3468 ext. 3

What are stormwater management Ponds (SWMP's)?

A storm water management pond collects water runoff in the area. It will hold the water and slowly release it to the environment. This will help keep items like dirt, fertilizer, cigarette butts and garbage out of our rivers and lakes.

How are stormwater management ponds maintained?

Grass will not be cut around the pond to keep it natural. After many years' debris may be removed from the pond. Structures and bank stabilization may occur at different times.

I want to tie my sump pump discharge into the stormwater system. Who do I call?

Please call the Public Works Office 519-396-3468 ext. 3