Our By-law Enforcement department provides a variety of animal related services such as dog licences, livestock claims, reporting a dead animal, and more.

By-law Officers also respond to reports of dogs running at large. Please don't let your dog roam free unless you head to the dog park

When a By-law Officer attends and captures a dog running at large, the dog is taken to the pound and the owner could be subject to many fines: 

  1. Permitting Dog to Run at Large: $105
  2. Failing to Licence: $105
  3. Failing to attach tag: $105
  4. Boarding Fees at Vet: Vet Fees
  5. Dog Reclaim Fee: $120
  6. No dog tag: $20.00
  7. Lost dog tag: $9.50

Dog Licences

Dogs in the Municipality of Kincardine are required to be licensed yearly as per our Dog Control By-law. The tag must always be worn . A dog tag is the best form of ID for your dog. It will help with returning lost dogs to their owners. If your dog is picked up without a dog licence you may be subject to additional fees.

Register your dog

One tag is issued to each dog for the lifetime of the dog.

Register your dog online through our Registration Form and receive your permanent dog tag in the mail or visit the Municipal office to register your dog and pick up your dog tag.


For each dog per calendar year (January 1st - March 1st) $20.00

For each additional dog per calendar year (January 1st - March 1st)


For each dog per calendar year (after March 1st)

For each additional dog per calendar year (after March 1st) $40.00
Breeding Kennel Licence per calendar year $144.00
Replacement dog tag or transfer to new dog $9.50
Boarding fees for all animals impounded (dogs or cats) at veterinarians Vet Fees
Dog Reclaim Fee $120.00

Kennel Licensing

A kennel licence is required for more than 3 dogs. The Municipality of Kincardine regulates dog kennel licences. If you are interested in getting a kennel license please contact the By-Law Compliance Officer before building any type of kennel structure as there are certain zoning requirements and standards in place.

Dog tag cancellation request

If you no longer have a dog within the Municipality of Kincardine, please fill out our dog tag cancellation request form.

Lost and Found Animals

For animals that have been lost or found, please contact the By-law Compliance Officer at 226-910-1322.

Livestock Claims

The Ontario Wildlife Damage Compensation Program provides financial assistance to farmers whose livestock, poultry and honey bees have been damaged by wildlife. 

Our Livestock Valuator will come to your property to assess the damage. Then a report is submitted to OMAFRA. The program follows the following guidelines.

Livestock and poultry

Notify us within 48 hours if you find your livestock injured or killed. Find out if you're eligible for financial assistance.


A Livestock Valuator will complete an investigation within 3 days.  Within 10 business days after notification we will submit the application to Ontario Ministry of Agriculture, Food and Rural Affairs (OMAFRA).

Appealing the decision

If you do not agree with the results of the application, you may appeal the decision.

Beehive, bee colony, beehive-related equipment

If eligible species of wildlife (bear, deer, raccoon or skunk) damage your beehive or related equipment, you must notify an OMAFRA Apiary/Bee Inspector within 48 hours of finding the damage. Payments to beekeepers will come directly from OMAFRA.

Claim tips

  • Do not move the livestock before an investigation takes place.
  • Take 3 to 6 pictures of the injured or killed livestock.
  • Include pictures of the site to show the location of the incident, which will help the livestock valuer with their assessment in case weather is a factor.


The Municipality of Kincardine does not provide a service to deal with injured or dead wildlife on private property.

Report a dead animal

To report a dead animal on a municipal road or property, please report it online.


If you think an animal has rabies, please visit the Ministry of Natural Resources website or call their rabies hotline at 1-888-574-6656.

Private Property

Wildlife issues on private property are the responsibility of the landowner. Owners can call pest control or wildlife control companies to remove wildlife at their own expense. Please visit www.ontariowildliferescue.ca 
If you need contact information for a local trapper, please contact the Municipality and we will provide details as requested.