Skip to main content Skip to footer


Wastewater and Sewers

Municipal responsibility

The Environmental Services department is responsible for collection and treatment of sewage in serviced areas on municipal property. We also look after the collection and management of rain water on municipal roadways and allowances.

Homeowner responsibility

Sewer and stormwater pipes on private property are the responsibility of the property owner.

Did you know?

As a homeowner you are responsible for the water and sewer service lines that run from outside your home to the public main. When your service line breaks, leaks or clogs, the repair could cost thousands of dollars - hard on a budget! Many homeowner policies do not cover these repair costs. Please check with your insurance provider.

The Municipality of Kincardine, in conjunction with Service Line Warranties of Canada, offers an optional Service Line Warranty program to homeowners. The Municipality wishes to make residents aware of the availability of this product since water and sewer line repairs can be very expensive. SLWC is associated with the Association of Municipalities of Ontario as a preferred vendor and has partnered with over 65 leading cities and municipalities in Canada to provide repair service plans that offer peace of mind and convenience. SLWC has provided over $6M in coverage since they first launched in 2014.

Participation is optional and voluntary for homeowners and not a Municipal program. SLWC is a partner and solely responsible for the administration and service of the warranty programs. A homeowner, who chooses to enrol in this program, should do so with the understanding that the Municipality in no way warrants or is liable for the work or performance of SLWC. 


To sign up or get more details about the program please contact Service Line Warranties of Canada directly: 

Toll-free phone: 1-866-922-9004


Frequently Asked Questions

Is the SLWC program legitimate?

  • Yes - it's been vetted by the Local Authority Services through the Association of Municipalities of Ontario to be identified as a preferred vendor. SLWC is an accredited Better Business Bureau organization that has maintained an A+ rating

Does the Municipality administer this program?

  • No, the Municipality does not administer this program.

Why is the Municipality using this program?

  • The Municipality has partnered with SLWC to provide an optional warranty coverage to homeowners for their water services and sanitary laterals and to:
    • Educate residential property owners about their responsibilities for the maintenance, repair and replacement of water and sewer service lines (portion from their homes to the property line);
    • Make available to residents optional affordable protection unexpected costs of repairing or replacing non-functioning water and services lines, as well as, broken interior plumbing and drainage systems; and
    • Protect the environment with timely repairs to reduce water loss and minimize wastewater pollution.

Am I already covered with my insurance provider?

  • Many homeowners are not - check with your current provider to confirm coverage and compare rates.

Why did the Municipality give out my mailing address? How did SLWC get my mailing address?

  • SLWC works with Data Axel to gather mailing information from several publicly available sources including real estate listings, phone white pages, etc.; the Municipality did not provide your details to SLWC. 

Can I be removed from the mailing list?

Why did we use an American company?

  • While SLW is headquartered in the US, they do have a Canadian Head Office in Toronto. SLWC also works with local contractors when completing repairs.

I am not on Municipal water or sewer, why did I receive this notification?

  • One reason is that the Municipality only provides local postal codes to SLWC. The other reason is that SLWC also has coverage for internal plumbing and for any piping in your yard between your house and the well/cistern or septic tank.

How common are utility line breakages and what are the repair costs?

  • It is very difficult to determine when a pipe may fail, with key contributors being the type of piping material, age of the service pipe, soil conditions and installation quality. Water line repairs can be costly and with the modest cost of SLWC’s service plans, homeowners would see financial benefits if the service lines didn’t break for years – versus saving the monthly fee at current rates.

Why does SLWC use the Municipality of Kincardine logo in it's marketing materials?

  • Municipality of Kincardine’s agreement with SLWC allows the company to use the Municipality of Kincardine logo in communications to indicate that there is a formal relationship in place and to let residents know that the offering is legitimate, it is for the residents benefit and has the approval of the Municipality of Kincardine.

Does this affect my taxes or rates?

  • This program has no impact on residents taxes, water rates or sewer rates.

Who is responsible for the service lines?

  • Ontario Clean Water Agency (OCWA) is responsible for maintaining and repairing equipment up to the ownership demarcation point. It is the property owner’s responsibility to maintain and repair equipment beyond the ownership demarcation point. 

Isn't it unethical/unseemly for cities to partner with a private entity?

  • It is not a new idea for the public and private sectors to work together; it is about bringing Municipality of Kincardine residents a solution to a real problem facing homeowners around the country. SLWC brings the best of the private sector, including efficiency and expertise, to relieve the burden on homeowners facing expensive repairs. At the same time, SLWC supports communities by helping us, as local decision-makers, tackle the problem of making sure all of our community’s water and sewer infrastructure is maintained. It is good practice to bring together the best of what public and private entities have to offer.

Please help keep catch basins clear of debris. Do not place leaves or grass clipping on the roadway.

General Information

Sewer FAQ's

Only pee, poop and toilet paper can go in the toilet.

Flushing items such as baby wipes, menstrual products, rags, and disposable face masks can clog our pumps and have to be manually removed. Please place these items in the trash for the landfill.

No. Grease should be placed in a jar or sealed container and put into the garbage.

Please call the building department at 519-396-3468 ext 2.

Pour water down floor drains and sinks. If smell does not stop call a plumber.

The Municipality does not take waste from RV's. Please call a camp ground for disposal.

Please contact the sewer department at or call 519-396-4660.

Sewer Bypasses and Overflows

A bypass occurs at the treatment works when the wastewater is not able to go through one or more of the treatment processes before it is discharged. An example of this would be when there is a power outage, and the UV disinfection system is not able to run.

An overflow is similar to a bypass in that the wastewater is not fully treated but it typically occurs in the wastewater collection system when the flows exceed the capacity of the pumping station. An overflow typically occurs when the system is overwhelmed by stormwater inflow due to heavy precipitation as some areas have residential footing drains and/or sump pumps connected into the wastewater collection system instead of the stormwater system. An overflow is intended to prevent infrastructure damage and basement flooding.

The table below outlines the bypass and overflow events for the current calendar year and the previous year.


Annual reports

Bruce Energy Center Wastewater Treatment and Collection Systems Annual Performance Report 2023

Kincardine Wastewater Treatment and Collection Systems Annual Performance Report 2023

Kincardine Sewer Annual Report 2022

Kincardine Sewer Annual Report 2021

Kincardine Sewer Annual Report 2020

Tiverton, Inverhuron and Bruce Energy Center Sewer Annual Report 2022

Tiverton, Inverhuron and Bruce Energy Center Sewer Annual Report 2021

Tiverton, Inverhuron and Bruce Energy Center Sewer Annual Report 2020

Gary Street Stormwater Pond Annual Report 2022

Storm Sewer FAQ's

Please call the Environmental Services Office 519-396-4660 ext 2

A storm water management pond collects water runoff in the area. It will hold the water and slowly release it to the environment. This will help keep items like dirt, fertilizer, cigarette butts and garbage out of our rivers and lakes.

Grass will not be cut around the pond to keep it natural. After many years' debris may be removed from the pond. Structures and bank stabilization may occur at different times.

Please call the Environmental Services Office 519-396-4660 ext 2

The Municipality does not take waste from RV's. Please call a camp ground for disposal.

Sign up to our Newsletter

Stay up to date on the city's activities, events, programs and operations by subscribing to our eNewsletters.

This website uses cookies to enhance usability and provide you with a more personal experience. By using this website, you agree to our use of cookies as explained in our Privacy Policy.