The Municipality of Kincardine's Burning By-law regulates burning in the community. There are four categories of burning:

  • Recreational Burning - For Residential & Non-Residential Areas
  • Open Air Burning (Brush) - For Non-Residential Areas Only
  • Agricultural Burning - Contact Fire Department
  • Special Occurrence Burning - Contact Fire Department

You need a burn permit for ALL burning in Kincardine. Burn permits are $20.66 (With the exception of burning a HOUSE, BARN, OR SIMILAR BURNING – Please see Open air burning permit – terms and conditions, for further information).

Get your Burn Permit Online

Open air burn permits, Recreational burn permits, Agricultural burn permits, Special Occurrence burn permits, and any other burning, must be consistent with the terms and conditions set out for each specific type of burn during the application process. 

Any issues with the online system, please contact the Fire Department.

Frequently Asked Questions (Regarding new processes)
1. Question – Are there any new instructions I need to follow while burning?

Yes, always read the ‘terms and conditions’ while applying to know what you are permitted to do.

2. Question – Are all the permits good for the calendar year?

No, each permit has there own defined time lines based on the type of burning you are permitted to do.

i.   Recreational burning permit– calendar year

ii.  Open air burning permit – calendar year

iii. Agricultural burning permit – 7 days

iv. Special Occurrence burning permit – TBD by Chief Fire Official or designate

v.  HOUSE, BARN, OR SIMILAR BURNING – 1 day or TBD by Chief Fire Official or designate

3. Question – How do I purchase a permit online?

Go to then follow the prompts to set up your account. You can now pay online through ‘Square One’ with debit or credit. 

4. Question – Do I still need to call in to notify of any burning?

Yes, once you have a valid burn permit you need to phone (844) 777-0443 for certain permits.

i. Recreational burning permit – No

ii. Open air burning permit – Yes

iii. Agricultural burning permit – Yes

iv. Special Occurrence burning permit – Yes


5. Question – What is the cost of the permits?

i.   Recreational burning permit – $20.66

ii.  Open air burning permit – $20.66

iii. Agricultural burning permit – $20.66

iv. Special Occurrence burning permit – $51.65

v.  HOUSE, BARN, OR SIMILAR BURNING – $51.65 (Please see terms and conditions in Open air burning permits, for additional instruction)

6. Question – What can I burn?

See the ‘terms and conditions’ while applying to know what you are allowed to burn, and what you are not allowed to burn.

7. Question – What if none of these FAQ answer questions I have?

The process through answers a lot of questions as you apply, BUT you can always contact Kincardine Fire and Emergency Services for help.


The Kincardine Fire and Emergency Services will issue a burn ban when there is very dry weather, poor air quality in the community, or an issue that requires a burn ban. Burn ban notices will appear on our website and in the local media. The notice will let you know which types of burning are banned. These burn bans are for your safety and we ask that you follow them.


Guidelines for all burning are included on the back of your burn permit. When the Fire and Emergency Services responds to complaints about burning and they find you are not following these rules, you may be charged for the services used to respond to the complaint, including trucks and staff costs. We also have the right to revoke your burn permit, if necessary.

Be a good neighbour and make sure that smoke from your burn is not drifting on to others' property. Your neighbours have a right to complain about your burn if the smoke is causing an issue on their property.